Today is the last day of the 31-day Character Creation challenge. This time, instead of rolling up a character, I thought I'd report on something I've been working on and off for the past year or so.

Sometime during the last few months of 2019, I became interested in rolling up characters using only 3d6 in order per the original D&D method, just to see what outcomes were to be had. But because I was lazy, or didn't have a whole lot of time on my hands, I decided to conduct the experiment using BASIC running on an emulated Commodore machine.

Screen Shot of a Commodore 64 screen
Casio PB-80 pocket computer

We didn’t have much money. I understand that now, though I didn’t understand it then. 

This meant toys of an electronic nature—especially in the 1970s—were rare, and although I still recall we had a lot of toys, even limited lots of toys like Lego, Micronauts, and some Star Wars figures and (hand-made) vehicles, electrical devices were rare.

Subscribe to Commodore